In Scotland, 1 in 3 individuals have a diagnosed mental health problem, and many more are distressed or stressed. Providing psychological services to those in need therefore is a major challenge for the NHS and has resulted in long waiting lists and strict referral criteria. The Psychology Rooms can provide care when you need it, and at a time that is convenient for you.
We provide psychological assessment and treatment for a range of difficulties including:
- Mood difficulties: depression, anger, stress
- Anxiety: including phobia, OCD, panic attacks, social anxiety, performance anxiety
- PTSD and trauma
- Low self esteem, lack of assertiveness or confidence
- Sleep problems
- Body image concerns and disordered eating
- Adjusting to medical illness: coping with medical treatment, surgery or pain
- Relationship difficulties
- Supporting health behaviour change: such as stop smoking, weight management
This list is not exhaustive, so contact us if you have a difficulty not on the list. We may be able to help you or can point you in the right direction.
The Psychology Rooms is focused on improving your understanding of your difficulties and empowering you to manage these with psychological skills. Therefore following assessment, we provide a personalised psychological formulation for you. A psychological formulation is underpinned by evidence based psychological theories and describes your difficulties, what predisposed you to these, what the triggers for your difficulties are, what keeps them going and what protects you against them.
Psychological formulation also provides a framework for developing the most suitable treatment approach.